Friday, February 9, 2007

More Thoughts on Life in Paradise

It was another gorgeous day and I spent five hours out in the yard doing things I never would have done "up north." Like using a blower to blow leaves and debris out of the "popcorn bed." Now, these have nothing to do with popcorn. They are landscaping features, curved beds made with concrete "siding" that is about 4 inches tall, rounded, and full of chunks of rock about the size of a popped kernel of popcorn. These are painted white and filled in with smooth white pebbles. Planted in them are the landscaping features, from varieties of palm to flowering shrubs I never encountered "up north." These include hibiscus, ixora, alamandia, Crown of Thorns, holly trees, and much more.

You'd never guess how much work it takes to take care of this stuff. In "paradise" you can "garden" all year long. With a yard the size of ours, you could make a full time job out of it. Or, do like most of the neighbors and pay a landscaping service. Until I moved here, I never knew that you needed to constantly cut fronds off the palms, for instance. Now I am also trying to learn why my hibiscus has yellow leaves and there are red spots on the ixora leaves.

And today I was raking leaves. Bags full.

Well it was lovely out there, and it was a lot better than shoveling snow or scraping ice off a windshield!

No comments: