Friday, February 2, 2007

Florida Tornadoes

A colleague of mine moved from Florida to Kansas for a new job, and her family in Florida practically wrote her off as dead, thinking she would never survive the tornadoes there. When we moved from Kansas to Florida, family in Kansas felt the same way about Florida hurricanes. When I was writing a children's book that featured tornadoes, I did a lot of research and was surprised to learn how many tornadoes Florida has -- and therefore even more surprised at my colleague's family's reaction to her move. I've lived in some dangerous places, if you consider the destructive power of weather and the earth -- California and Japan for earthquakes (yes, I was in some, but luckily didn't experience damage or injury), Kansas and Florida for terrible storms, whether tornadoes or hurricanes. Is there a safe place in the world?

My heart goes out to all the families that lost their homes, and in some cases lives, in the tornado early this morning in central Florida, and those who lost everything in the Christmas Day storm. I'm thankful that my family and our homes are unscathed.

No comments: