Friday, April 20, 2007

Flags at Half Mast

Someone asked me today why the U.S. flags are flying at half mast. I answered that I believed it was in honor of and grief for the murdered students and faculty at Virginia Tech.

Then I went on to say that 100 times that many of our military personnel (and many thousands of innocent Iraqis) have died violent and painful deaths in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet I don't see our country's flag flying at half mast for them. They deserve it a hundred times over.

What happened at Virginia Tech was horrifying, and my heart goes out to all those families and friends who lost loved ones in such a cruel and senseless way. I don't mean to diminish in any way their suffering, or the fact that the nation should show it cares.

But what about all those men and women who served their country? How badly has their country served them?

My flag flies at half mast in my heart every day, and each day when I see the "Honor Roll" of those killed, shown on the News Hour, I shed tears for them.

The flag should fly at half mast everywhere until our soldiers come home.

No comments: